BIO106 INTRODUCTION TO MICROBIOLOGY
INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH PAPER
- Choose a microbe that has been in the news recently or one you are interested in researching. You may choose a bacterium, virus, prion, viroid, fungi or protozoa. The microbe you choose must have a clinical application, but can also have industrial, agricultural, ecological or research applications as well.
- Research your chosen microbe. You may use your textbook, the CDC – either Canadian or US, Bergey’s Manual of Bacteria or other reliable resource. You MAY NOT use Wikipedia or other .com sites, unless approved by your instructor. You will need to provide a list of references for your paper, and list them in APA format. You are required to use a minimum of 3 references.
You will need to find the following information for your paper.
- Chosen microbe – Genus and species (if applicable)
- Taxonomic hierarchy of your microbe – i.e. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus species
- Name of the disease or problem that it causes, its role in its environment, or its application
- Type of microbe – bacteria, virus, etc. – as well as specific details, size, shape, stains, genetic information, etc.
- Preferred portal of entry – how does the microbe get transferred to the target population and how does it leave the host?
- Distinguishing features of the microbe – what makes this microbe important?
- How does this agent cause disease? What are the symptoms/signs of infection?
- Treatment –what are the treatments, or if it is used for another purpose, how is it controlled?
- Prevention – how is this microbe prevented from infecting others, or spreading to other plants, etc. How is it managed?
- Why did you pick this microbe? What was it about it that interested you or what has made you interested now?
- Reference list: The format for your reference will be: APA. A great reference site is the OWL site of Purdue University.
- You will present the information outlined above. You may present as if you are signing out a patient, giving a news report or other creative method – I want it to be a lively and enthusiastic report – YOU picked the topic!!!!
- The overall format for the paper will be 3-4 pages, 12 font, Times New Roman, 1-inch Margins.
- This paper is worth 50 pts of your total lecture grade and will be graded for:
- This paper is due Monday April 20th.