According to the text, white-collar crime refers to offenses committed by workers in the course of their commercial activities. For this case study, use the Internet to research and explore a white-collar crime committed within the last three years.
Write a 4-page paper in which you address the following thoroughly. Cite specifics from the case wherever possible to support your arguments:
- Examine three elements of white-collar crime and then determine whether or not the defendant committed a white-collar crime or any action that requires prosecution. Provide a rationale to support your position.
- Identify and summarize the law which you believe the defendant infringed upon, and identify three of the most significant portions of the law related to this case. Provide support for your rationale.
- Examine whether the actions of the defendant are supported by others in society and why. If the actions are supported, analyze to what degree they are and analyze the significance of this support. Then, give your opinion as to whether the defendant got the intended outcome as a result of the defendant’s actions. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Debate the likelihood of the Department of Justice categorizing the defendant’s behavior as deviant. Next, determine three possible effects on the pursuit of justice if the Justice Department does or does not consider the defendant’s behavior deviant. Justify your response.
- Use at least three quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar types of websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references should follow the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Properly classify criminal offenders and discuss criminal typologies.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues related to the criminal mind.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics involving the criminal mind using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.