Criminal homework help.
Vision and Mission, Risk Management, and Torts
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 in Girod (2014), and Chapter 4 in Correctional Leadership Competencies for the 21st Century (Links to an external site.)(Campbell & Dobel & Katsampes & Mactavish & Yates, 2014). View the Rodney King Beating Video (Links to an external site.)(2015) and read Motto, Mission Statement and Core Values (Links to an external site.) of the Los Angeles Police Department.In addition to these, research at least three additional scholarly, peer-reviewed and/or credible sources that apply to the topic of vision and mission, risk management, and torts that are relevant within the context of the Rodney King case. (Ashford University Library definitions of these resource types are provided for your convenience.)
The following scenario will be used as the basis for this assignment. Carefully review it before beginning your work.
The assault on Rodney King by Los Angeles Police officers in 1991 raised many issues about the actions of officers and subsequent accountability. Rodney King was contacted by LAPD officers following a vehicle chase. King was removed from his car, handcuffed, and was subsequently beaten by four LAPD officers. Video of the traffic stop and ensuing events was captured by a witness. The officers in question were criminally charged and were acquitted of those state criminal charges. They were later found guilty of federal civil rights violations. Rodney King received a $3.8 million settlement.
For this assignment, you must evaluate the results of the Rodney King case from the perspective of this week’s readings.
- Analyze the vision and mission of the Los Angeles Police Department and the role of that vision and mission in establishing guidelines for behavior that aid in the risk management function of the LAPD.
- Evaluate the impact of tort law on the development and implementation of the vision and mission, and how the financial settlement awarded to Rodney King impacts current and future ethical leadership.
- Provide at least two examples of how the vision and mission were upheld, or how they were violated by the officers in question.
- Explain how the relevant employment laws and policies addressed the hiring, training, and retention of police officers.
- Examine how employment law may have affected the ethical and leadership decision making at the time of the King case.
- Determine if all applicable legal policies and constitutional mandates were in place and are being adhered to. In the case that all policies and mandates were satisfactorily addressed, describe how the situation could have occurred. If you identified issues with the policies and mandates, recommend strategies for implementation that would have addressed these problems.
- Analyze and explain how risk management policies within the context of this case are intended to protect the organization – and the community – from negative behaviors and liabilities.
- Analyze the relevant risk management concepts and applicable tort law and explain how the torts influence risk management policies.
- Analyze the impact of financial settlements on the organization and on the community. Propose changes to the vision and mission statements and explain how those statements should be adhered to.
The Vision and Mission, Risk Management, and Torts paper
- Must be five to six double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three sources from scholarly, peer-reviewed, or other credible sources in addition to the course text and the other required resources for this assignment.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.