Week 4 Project: Case Studies
- Ethical Systems
- Correctional Philosophy
- Ethical Dilemmas in Corrections
For this assignment, read the cases of Miller v. Alabama and Jackson v. Arkansas (2012). These cases deal with the topic of juveniles tried and sentenced as adults.
- Analyze whether either of these cases addresses the utilitarian view of ethical treatment of convicted murderers.
- Differentiate between the peacemaking philosophy and deontological philosophy in the context of murder sentencing for juveniles. Do these philosophies differ when the defendant is an adult?
- Considering these two cases, determine whether either should have been handled differently under the utilitarian or the deontological philosophies.
- In general terms, consider a judge who must determine whether a 16-year-old who committed a violent crime should be tried as an adult. Identify the ethical dilemma(s) the judge faces and describe how he or she might arrive at an ethical decision.
Submit your response in a 4–6–page Microsoft Word document. Name your document SU_MCJ5003_W4_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc. Submit your document to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned. Cite sources in APA format on a separate page.
Week 4 Project Due March 16 at 12:59 AM