Choose a work that was composed about a conflict or a time of conflict. You may find this work either through the internet, youtube, the McKay Music library, the Marriott Library, or ITunesU, or it may be one you have in your own library. Many of your sources may come from internet sites. Please cite the URL address at the end of your paper. Please write in your own words. Do not copy and paste from the internet. If you do choose to quote something from another source, please use quotations and cite the sources. This assignment will be run through TURNITIN to check for plagiarism.
In a 2-3 page paper, answer the following questions about the piece. The paper should be double-spaced, 12 point Times Roman font.
1. What was the conflict or unrest that the music was composed about or during? Give some historical background information about the conflict.
2. When was the music composed? Give the closest date possible. Was it during, before, or after the conflict?
3. Did the music escalate the crisis? Was it designed to do that? Did it reach the audience that needed to hear it?
4. What do the lyrics discuss? Who’s side of the conflict does the song side with, if any? Who sings the piece?
5. Discuss the music of the piece. What is the texture? What instruments are used? What is the range? What is the melody like…conjunct or disjunct? What is the meter? Describe the rhythm. Do these musical elements make the piece more noticeable or unique?
Please submit the paper here as an attachment or if you have Word Perfect or Microsoft Works…. please copy and past the paper in the space below. It is OK if this changes the formatting. I will not mark of for that in this case. Please proof-read your paper for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. (YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR PAPER HERE FOR CREDIT.)
Please attach it as a .doc or .docx or pdf file. Thanks.