- Develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy*
- Evaluate the efficacy of motivational interviewing techniques for clients*
- Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders*
* The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 7.
Select a client whom you observed or counseled this week. Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
- Describe the client (without violating HIPAA regulations) and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
- Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for this client.
- Explain whether motivational interviewing would be effective with this client. Include expected outcomes based on this therapeutic approach. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
- Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling this client.