Science homework help. Study of Physical Science
2 PGS EACH MOD
- Describe the law of conservation of mass. How do you know if a chemical equation is in accord with this law?
- A deep lake in Minnesota is covered with ice. What is the water temperature at the bottom of the lake? Explain your reasoning.
- Describe at least four different examples of how you could make hard water soft.
- What is the difference between high-octane and regular gasoline? Many people feel that they will get better performance by using a higher-octane gasoline in their vehicles. Does scientific evidence bear this out?
- Describe three kinds of radiation emitted by radioactive materials. Describe what eventually happens to each kind of radiation after it is emitted.
- Technically speaking, what is wrong with calling a rock that strikes the surface of the Moon a meteorite? Again speaking technically, what should you call a rock that strikes the surface of the Moon or any planet other than Earth? Explain.
- What does the color of a star indicate about the surface temperature of the star? What is the relationship between the temperature of a star and the spectrum of the star? Finally, describe in general the spectral classification scheme based on temperature and stellar spectra.
- Describe the internal structure of Jupiter and Saturn and explain the planetary rings.
- Briefly describe how Earth’s axis is used as a reference for a system that identifies locations on Earth’s surface.
- Explain why standard time zones were established. In terms of longitude, how wide is a standard time zone? Why was this width chosen?
- Describe what happens to the minerals as shale is metamorphosed to slate, then schist, then gneiss. Is it possible to metamorphose shale directly to gneiss or must it go through the slate and schist sequences first? Explain.
- Describe evidence that would explain why plate tectonics occurs on Earth but not on other planets.
- Where would the theory of plate tectonics predict that earthquakes would occur?
- Compare the features caused by stream erosion, wind erosion, and glacial erosion.
- What is the principle of uniformity? What are the underlying assumptions of this principle?
- Describe how the principles of superposition, horizontality, and faunal succession are used in the relative dating of sedimentary rock layers.
- Describe how you could use a garden hose and a bucket of water to make a barometer. How high a column of water would standard atmospheric pressure balance in a water barometer? Explain your conclusions.
- Compare and contrast (a) evaporation and (b) condensation.
- Evaluate the requirement that differential heating must take place before wind will blow. Do any winds exist without differential heating?
- What are the significant similarities and differences between a river and an ocean current?