Week 1 – Assignment
Research Topic and Question
Prior to beginning this assignment,
- Read Module 1 in your course textbook.
- Watch the GEN103 Annotated Bibliography and Picking Your Topic IS Research
- Review the Week 5 Annotated Bibliography Example, and the 4 Easy Steps to Using the Ashford Library for Background Research, Possible Topics for Research, and How to Ask an Open-Ended Question handouts.
- Download and review the Week 1 Research Topic and Question worksheet that you will complete and turn in for this assignment.
This week, you will develop a research question for your annotated bibliography:
- Choose a research topic.
- How is the use of robotics is changing infantry training and tactics?
2. I’ve also wondered what the military consensus is for what has gone wrong in Afghanistan over nearly 20 years of being there. Why haven’t we won?
3. With the Arctic region being more important, what are are tacticians saying should be the level and types of deployment for American forces in the region?
4. What evidence is there that America needs a “Space Force” as part of our national armed services?
5. If you want to go historical you could try and assess what American efforts in Korea and Vietnam stalled in the 20th century. What was the overall impact of air power in WWI? There are limitless inquires you could make in that area.
- Explore your topic.
- Write your research question.
Choose a Research Topic
Choose a research topic related to your program or major. This topic will be used for all five weeks so choose one that interests you and for which two scholarly articles, one e-book , and two non-scholarly sources are available. Review the Possible Topics for Research handout if you need ideas. It is recommended that you review the GEN103 Week 1 Assignment example.
Provide a two to three sentence explanation of the research topic and how it is related to your major on the Week 1 Research Topic and Question worksheet.
Explore your Topic
On the Week 1 Assignment worksheet, fill in the KWHL chart to explore the research topic. Be sure to carefully follow the instructions on the worksheet. The 4 Easy Steps to Using the Ashford Library for Background Research is a helpful resource at this point.
Write Your Research Question
Write the first draft of your research question in the table at the bottom of the Week 1 Assignment worksheet. Your research question will help you focus your research by defining the information you are looking for as you research your topic.
Your research question must be:
- Open-ended (should begin with “how,” “why” or “what”)
The How to Ask an Open-Ended Question handout can help you formulate an open-ended question.